Why Your Website's Impression Means Everything
When I speak with my clients about the importance of a good website, I often compare it to a first impression one would have on a first date. You typically have 5-10 seconds to gain a viewers attention on your site. (I'm hoping this same thing isn't true about the dating world, but I digress) ;) I've compiled a short list of 5 things your website should do/have and 5 things it should not.
Things to do:
1. Do have a welcoming, clean web design.
2. Connect your viewer with social media links from the start.
3. Update your site frequently. Give the viewer a reason to visit again.
4. Do take the time to write proper content. Content that is sloppy and thrown together detracts from your credibility.
5. Keep it simple.
Things to not do:
1. Avoid flash designs. Not only are they bad for SEO, but so 1990s!
2. Do not make your contact information hard to find.
3. Do not make it difficult for people to figure out what you do.
4. Do not use fonts that you would get in trouble for using on a 5th grade paper. Comic Sans MS would be a favorite in this category. Another one that comes to mind is Curlz MT. Using all CAPS is also a big no!
5. Bombard your page with advertisements for other services. It looks tacky.